Plants that pose a danger to pets

Plants that pose a danger to pets

A variety of plants can add a touch of color in your garden and inside of your home. Over 700 plants have been identified as being potentially toxic to pets. The symptoms of poisoning could range from a mild nausea and losing their appetite, to a potentially fatal situation. Sometimes only some of the plant is toxic to pets, and other times the entire plant is poisonous.

Some of the most popular plants that you may want to reconsider planting around pets, or at the very least planting out of their reach, include the following.

• Hyacinth, the bulbs are toxic
• Holly, the berries are toxic
• Foxglove, the leaves are toxic
• Poinsettia, the leaves, stem, and flowers are toxic
• Wisteria, the pods and seeds are toxic
• English ivy, the entire plant especially the leaves and berries are toxic
• Elephants ear, the entire plant is toxic
• Azaleas, the entire plant is toxic
• Cyclamen, the roots are toxic
• Daffodils, the bulbs are toxic
• Day lily, the entire plant is toxic but primarily toxic to cats
• Lantana, the leaves are toxic
• Potatoes, the shoots and sprouts are toxic
• Rhododendron, the leaves are toxic
• Sago palm, the entire plant, especially the seeds, is toxic to pets

If you have any of these plants in your home, and you suspect that your pet has ingested any part of these plants, then you shouldn’t hesitate to contact your veterinarian for assistance with treatment as soon as possible. Be sure to snap a picture of the plant or take it with you so that your vet can identify the plant and the right type of treatment that your pet needs. The sooner that you get your pet treatment, the better your odds are at helping to restore your pet to good health.

There are a number of things that you can do in order to help protect your pet from these types of plants. Of course, you can avoid having them in your home, which will totally remove the potential for any type of poisoning. Other methods of protecting your pet include simply keeping them away from the plants by placing the plants on a higher shelf or by keeping them outdoors where outdoor pets can’t reach them. There are also many type of bitter spray treatments that you can spray on plants in order to discourage your pets from nibbling on them. A spray bottle of water is another way to remind your pets that biting on your houseplants is not acceptable.

Do you have questions about the toxicity of your favorite houseplants? Visit a garden center to learn more about what plants will work best in a home with pets. The staff are knowledgeable and eager to help you decorate your home with gorgeous plants while still assuring the safety of your beloved pets.
 

By - mobile